BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, November 7, 2009

DSAHR

Today Matt and I attended our first meeting for new parents with the DSAHR (Down Syndrome Association of Hampton Roads). We were both excited to meet other parents and to gain some sort of wisdom and insight to what it means to have a child with Down Syndrome. We decided to keep Reese home with Grace and Aunt Jenn just because she isn't quite 6 weeks old yet and the H1N1 epidemic. However, we were fortunate to meet a little girl named Tori. Tori is 2 years old and a complete cutie. Her mother Karen was very candid in sharing her experiences, emotions, hopes, and love for her daughter. I think both Matt and I were amazed by this and especially with this little girl!

For the first time I saw past the diagnosis and saw the potential for my daughter. There are so many rescources, programs, and support out there for children with Down Syndrome and their families. It was strange how we had an instant connection with these parents. I'm very excited to get involved and educated. We know we have much to learn but it's nice to know we don't have to walk this path alone. We can look to those who have and are walking it now. What a blessing and an encouragement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey tiffany! glad to hear that you and matt were able to see and hear firsthand from other parents! I can't wait to hear all about it

rosemary said...

I am so glad that you went and had a good experience, Tiff!! Support groups are a life saver when you struggle through a diagnosis. I'm celebrating Reese's bright future with you!